Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Our Boy Floyd

Racing resumes today after a well-deserved rest day at the Tour Day France. I'm very much looking forward to the coverage this evening. I admit that I missed yesterday's recap show, but if you are going to miss one of the shows that's the one to miss, right? Tonight it will be all about Bobke and Al.

Today I will watch with renewed interest in 'Our Boy Floyd' as Reva has started to call him. Not only did I pick him because I like his perspective on life (from what I've read), cycling style and I think he's really stepped it up in the last couple of years but did you all catch the news yesterday about him needing a new hip? He'll have surgery right after le Tour to replace his hip, which has been giving him issues for two years.

"If I hadn't had a bicycle-racing career, I would have had the hip replaced two years ago because I don't really want to deal with the pain," Landis said. "It's bad, it's grinding, it's bone rubbing on bone. Sometimes it's a sharp pain. When I pedal and walk, it comes and goes, but mostly it's an ache, like an arthritis pain. It aches down my leg into my knee. The morning is the best time, it doesn't hurt too much. But when I walk it hurts, when I ride it hurts. Most of the time it doesn't keep me awake, but there are nights that it does."

I'm sorry, two years and he's climbing hills like a billy goat still? Woa. Floyd, I don't know if you are just tough as nails or if you are crazy - maybe a little bit of both - but you have my positive energy and thoughts. Allez Floyd! Go get 'em!

Just a small tidbit for today. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

What a man, that's all I can say.

Donna Tocci said...

I'm with you, Fritz! Amazing.