Monday, March 05, 2007

Why I Blog - The Kick I Needed

So, the last month has been hectic, to say the least. Two trade shows in two different countries, an entire website needed to be written in a week - yes, a week - and the flu made an appearance during the middle of it all. Craziness, I tell you. No energy to blog after all that, especially during the flu gremlin. But, there is always someone who will kick you in the pants and make you get moving again, right? That would be New York Times Jackson (aka The Masi Guy). Truth be told, it usually is and I appreciate him for that.

I see that he's tagged me with the newest meme, "5 Reasons Why I Blog". I feel so 'in', which is too funny. But, before I start, I suggest that you read Tim's reasons. He's always a pleasurable read.

So...why do I blog (when I can find the time, that is...).....

1. Learning. I started to blog so that I could learn all about this phenomenon called 'blogging'. I wanted to learn the ins and outs and try to be a 'cool kid'. Ok, so I'm not so much of a cool kid even over a year later, but I am still learning. Even when I'm not writing, I'm reading and learning. This has been a great educational experience for me both professionally and personally.

2. Collaboration. I've met some super intelligent folks through this blog and had the good fortune of collaborating with some of them. Lee took a huge leap of faith last year and, shortly after 'meeting' me, asked me to edit a piece of his work. Going back to reason one...I learned so much from reading his work and collaborating with him - it was a complete pleasure. I've also collaborated with Tim Grahl and a host of others that I met through blogging. It's very rewarding and highly flattering. Selfishly, I hope this trend continues.

3. Conversations. I love to get to know people, hear their ideas and discuss them - even if they differ with mine - heck, especially if they differ from mine. This blog gives me another way to converse with people. The conversations that have been started here with some topics have been great fun and stimulating. Some have moved to other blogs and continued along their merry way there with additional input. I love that.

4. 'Meeting' You! So many people have come by in the last year plus and left a comment - people I have similar interests with, yet never would have met without this blog. That would be you - yes, you! I get a big 'ole grin on my face when someone new leaves a comment on a post about NASCAR (hey, how about Juan Pablo Montoya this weekend?!) or about the Tour DAY France. Someone I don't know - someone who was reading all along - someone who has similar interests and then just pops off a little comment. I really enjoy that. Keep 'em coming.

5. Having a voice. Anyone who has met me in person knows I, absolutely, have a voice! But, I mean here, in the blogosphere and in this ever changing marketing world we live in. I have a place to voice my opinions about a variety of topics and, hopefully, spark a conversation that I can learn from. I hope that I don't use this space to pontificate - I'd hate that and I try to stay away from that, but I do enjoy having a space for my voice. Thank you for indulging me.

So, there you have it. 5 reasons why I blog - maybe not as often as I'd like, but I do when I can.

And now I tag..... Tim Grahl - because, if you don't know Tim through blogging, you will in the not-so-distant-future. He's got so much going on over in his 'neighborhood'.
Rich Kelly - I know he's getting ready to go to the Bike Summit, but I like to encourage his blogging because he has good things to say....
Mike Wagner - one of those intelligent folks I've had the pleasure to 'meet' through blogging and he always, always, always teaches me something.
Jake McKee - Big in Japan honcho and one smart cookie!

Just some tidbits for tonight. Thanks for continuing to stop by after so long!

4 comments:

Tim Jackson said...

Yeah Donna! Woo hoo girl! Good reasons. I'm so happy I tagged you.

Thank you for continuing to come hang out when you get that "spare time". Very glad to be able to call you friend and have you be a part of the blogosphere.

Oh, and when you're ready... the Krwe could use another new post too! ;-)

Yokota Fritz said...

One of the reasons I blog is to meet people too. Understand about being busy!

Donna Tocci said...

Tim - thanks for always being so supportive.

Fritz - you are one of the reasons I blog, that's for sure. And, yes, your reason for blogging is priceless! If readers are interested, check it out:
http://www.cyclelicio.us/2007/03/divinely-inspired-bicycle-blog.html

Thanks to you both for stopping by!

T-Guy J said...

Welcome back to the blog-o-sphere.

I can't wait to read your blog as the cycling season (and NASCAR season, I guess!!) get back into full swing.

Cheers,

T-Guy J