Monday, February 05, 2007

Which Ad Was Your Favorite?

If you are in the US, you probably watch the Superbowl, or at least parts of it last night. For someone who wasn't that interested in the game (me), I watched for the ads...as I do most every year. It's always fun to see where major advertisers think trends are going. I even do my own rankings and then look at USA Today's ad meter the next day to see if the rest of the country thinks like me.

This year we think similarly, but not exactly. This year there was one ad that stood out, by far, over and above the others for me. It was Blockbuster's rabbit that uses a real mouse to try to order his movies online. It was priceless! We were mimicking it throughout the evening even, which is part of what the advertisers want. Of course they, ultimately, want you to use their product but it's always good when people remember the commercial the next day, too.

We also had Budweiser's 'crab' ad in our top three. Turns out the rest of America liked it, too, as the ad meter has that at number 1. It was cute and I think people liked cute fun this year as opposed to slapstick. It was also the year of Time Magazine's person of the year - 'You' in the commercials. There were some regular 'ole folks that created ads this year in contests and whatnot. The Doritos ad in the first quarter was a contest winner that cost $12 to make (the cost of the bags of Doritos). Although it was somewhat risky, it turns out the brand made a very good choice - it ranked 4th overall.

You can view all the ads here, if you'd like to see them for yourself. I also liked the Taco Bell lions, the Budweiser stray dog, the auction wedding and the Coca-Cola black history month ad.

See what you think and let us know.

Just a quick tidbit on this chilly New England morning. Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Queen of Couth said...

Hey DMT -
Glad it's only "chilly" for you there. It's 30 below with the windchill here and the kids across all Southern Wisconsin had no school. Crazy.
Anyways, the commercial I loved got NO PRESS today. This is the one. Bud Light took the cake this year.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wV0B3maUK0E

Peace Out
bk

Anonymous said...

Donna, I agree with you on almost all of the commercials! But what about the Careerbuilder.com ones? Those were hilarious too! I always like to watch the funny ads.

Donna Tocci said...

BK - that commercial was good. Got a little chuckle from us. STAY WARM! Yikes!

Reva - I liked one of the Careerbuilder.com ones, too. They were creative. I'll bet you were just happy to see your boy Peyton winning the big show, though! After all, he's a Vol at heart, right?!

Thanks for stopping by, ladies.